Win Free Summer Festival Tickets!
June 6, 2015 by louis
Ever dreamed of having your music played at one of the UK’s biggest summer festivals? Want to be heard by the music editor at iD magazine? Looking to be featured on social media? Then send us your music for the chance to join Guerilla Science and the Fire Organ at Secret Garden Party festival!
Guerilla Science presents the spectacular Fire Organ – a many-headed hydra of flame tubes that converts sound waves into flames – at this year’s Secret Garden Party festival. We’re looking for an original piece of music that will send its dancing flames stratospheric. All musical genres are welcome, although the Fire Organ reacts particularly well to long sustained notes, pumping beats and heavy bass. Created in collaboration with engineers from international engineering firm Buro Happold and supported by the Royal Academy of Engineers, all the Fire Organ needs now is a spark of musical genius to make the flames fly… could it be you?
Send us up to two of your original musical compositions by 23:59 on Wednesday 08 July for the chance to win a pair of tickets to Secret Garden Party festival on 23-26 July 2015. Compositions must be uploaded via the registration form and be a version without pre-existing SoundCloud votes. The winning entry will be played on our spectacular Fire Organ at the festival and celebrated across Guerilla Science’s social media channels.
Your friends and the general public can vote for their favourite track on our SoundCloud page. The four tracks with the most public votes will go through to a judging panel with the music editor of iD magazine, engineers and Guerilla Scientists.
The judges will select one overall winner who will win tickets to Secret Garden Party to see their musical composition played on the Fire Organ at the festival.
All four shortlisted tracks will be played at Secret Garden Party and the festival audience invited to vote for their ‘People’s Favourite’ – the winner of this category will be announced and celebrated on social media following the festival.
Watch these videos to see the flame effects from one pipe in time to music – then imagine what your music could look like set to dancing flames across five pipes. And remember – don’t try this at home!
See how a single pipe Reuben’s flame tube reacts to dubstep music by Blue Foundation – Eyes On Fire (Zeds Dead Remix).
|Hattie Collins is the Music Editor at i-D magazine and a contributor to the Guardian, BEAT, Noisey, and ASOS. She is also a commentator on Radio 1, 5Live, 6 Music, Channel 4 and BBC 1Xtra and has hosted live online interviews for Red Bull Music Academy with the likes of A$AP Rocky, Skepta and Danny Brown. Hattie is renowned for spotting and nurturing new talent and has been part of documenting scenes including Grime and Dubstep. Hattie has collaborated on four books, for artists including Jessie J and Tinie Tempah.|
|Joe Allberry is an Architectural Engineer working within the Structures team at Buro Happold. He works on projects where engineering bridges the gap between the aspiration and the achievable, bringing complex forms into real life through an understanding and application of geometrical principles, from conception to completion on site.|
|Natalia Szczepanczyk is an Acoustic Engineer currently working in a field of architectural design at Buro Happold. Her musical background and experience in loudspeaker design for recording studios help in her daily job which involves input into the design process to create spaces with acoustics of high quality and user comfort.|
|Jen Wong, Louis Buckley and Jenny Jopson of Guerilla Science UK are renegade event producers committed to connecting people with science in new ways and producing live experiences that entertain, inspire, challenge and amaze.|
Terms and Conditions
Please read through the complete terms and regulations before entering the competition:
1. The competition is organised and promoted by Guerilla Science Ltd.
2. The competition is free to enter and open to all people from the United Kingdom aged 18 years and over.
3. Competition opens Wednesday 10 June with final submissions by 23:59 Wednesday 08 July.
4. Entrants can submit up to 2 original music compositions or songs.
5. All music compositions or songs must be an original piece created by the entrant or members of a group.
6. Applications made on behalf of a group must have the consent of all members of the group before applying.
7. Compositions must be uploaded via the registration form and be a version without pre-existing SoundCloud votes.
8. Entrants retain all ownership rights to all original music compositions or songs. Guerilla Science will not have any ownership rights to any music compositions or songs submitted.
9. Entrants warrant that they have not entered into any commercial, sponsorship or other agreement or arrangement with any person, firm or company in respect of their entry in the competition.
10. Entrants to submit their music composition or songs via the completed registration form.
11. Each music composition or track to be a maximum length of up to 3 minutes.
12. Entrants to include a title and up to 30 words description about themselves and their piece.
13. Each submission will be uploaded to Guerilla Science soundcloud and website for a public vote.
14. At the end of the public voting deadline the top 3 tracks with the highest public votes go through to a judging panel.
15. The judging panel will be made up of the music editor of iD magazine, engineers and Guerilla Scientists.
16. The judging panel will select 1 overall winning track which shows off the Fire Organ to best effect through sound and flames.
17. The competition judges’ decision will be final and binding in all matters.
18. The winner will be announced on Guerilla Science Soundcloud, website and social media on Monday 13 July.
19. Guerilla Science will notify the winning entrant by phone or email to inform them that the result has been posted. Entrant is responsible for providing up-to-date and correct email addresses to the Company. The Company will use its best efforts to announce the winners at the designated time but will not be held liable for any unforeseen delays. Entry constitutes permission to use the winner’s name for promotional and publicity purposes without additional compensation.
20. If you have not been selected as the overall winner you will not be contacted.
21. There will be no transfer and substitution of the winning prize.
22. The purpose of this competition is to find a music or song composition to accompany the Fire Organ and be played at Secret Garden Party festival across three afternoons, on 24, 25 and 26 July 2015.
23. The winner agrees to accept the prize of a pair of tickets for Secret Garden Party festival and be in attendance during the Fire Organ performance across three afternoons on 24, 25 and 26 July 2015.
24. The winner will be responsible for their travel, accommodation and subsistence costs when attending Secret Garden Party festival
25. The winner agrees to make themselves available, at their expense, at such times and in such locations as Guerilla Science may reasonably require in respect of the competition including without limitation publicity, press calls, photographs, recordings and/or other contributions. Such events will be organised and paid for by the Company. The winner agrees to attend such events and will advise of (and) provide receipts to the Company for reimbursement of any reasonable travel expenses incurred.
26. The winner and their guests agree to act responsibly and not be under the influence of alcohol during the time that they attend the Fire Organ performances on 24, 25 and 26 July 2015.
27. The winner and their guests will be asked to leave the festival site if they attend the Fire Organ performances on 24, 25 and 26 July 2015 if they behave irresponsibly or are found to be in an alcoholic state.
28. The winner and their guest agree to release, indemnify, and hold Guerilla Science harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in the Fire Organ competition and attendance at Secret Garden Party festival.
29. The winner and their guests are liable for their own health and safety at all times during the festival.
30. Guerilla Science may photograph, film and/or record performances at the events. The winner agrees to the use of this material by the Company for marketing and promotional purposes, including but not limited to national and international broadcast, including rights to reproduce and edit footage. The Company will own all intellectual property rights in any film and sound recording of the performances.
31. In the event that the winner performs any music and/or lyrics which are composed and/or written by them (“Composition(s)”), they hereby warrant that such Composition(s) are wholly original to them, are not subject to any third party rights or encumbrances which have not been notified to the Company prior to their performance of such Composition(s) for the competition and the performance and inclusion of such Composition(s) as part of the competition do not infringe the rights of any third party nor any statutory rights in any material.
32. All entrants must be resident in the UK. They must be aged 18 years or over before the last day of July. Entrants may be asked to provide the Company with supporting documentation in order to substantiate this (i.e. birth certificate and/or valid passport). Entrants acknowledge that the Company reserves the right to require at any time proof of their identity and/or eligibility.
33. All personal details and/or information given by entrants in their application either in this form or otherwise must be truthful, accurate and in no way misleading. Entrants undertake to inform the Company immediately if any such information becomes inaccurate.
34. Entrants acknowledge and agree to abide fully by the rules, regulations, terms and conditions for this competition (the “Rules”). Entrants agree to observe all procedures and obey all reasonable instructions in force or given by a member of the Company and/or any location staff in connection with the competition and the management of the locations and the fire safety and security arrangements in those locations.
35. Entrants acknowledge that Guerilla Science reserves the right to remove or disqualify them from the competition at their absolute discretion and that the decision of the Company is final. Entrants acknowledge that the Company will have no liability to them if they am unable to attend or take part in the competition.
36. Guerilla Science reserves the right to disqualify any contestant if they supply untruthful, inaccurate or misleading personal details and/or information, have failed to abide by the Rules and/or are in breach of the terms hereof.
37. Guerilla Science reserves the right to disqualify any entrant if they are deemed to be acting outside the spirit of the competition.
38. Guerilla Science decisions shall be final and binding in all matters.
39. By entering Fire Organ Music Competition the Entrant agrees to be bound by all terms of these official Guerilla Science Terms and Conditions as established herein.
40. By applying for this competition entrants will be placed on the Guerilla Science mailing list and may be contacted about future competitions and other information. The details and information provided by entrants will not be disclosed or passed onto any third parties.
Music talent competition for young music artists throughout the UK
© Fire Organ Music Competition 2015 by Guerilla Science Ltd . All rights reserved. No part of the contents of this website may be reproduced without written permission.